Monday, August 27, 2007

Communication

Words are powerful. It can make or break a situation or an association. Words of endearment can clinch a connection. A level tone in a business meeting may close a transaction. When there are words of hesitation, it is sure that the discussion could be long. Statements of anger may forever break a friendship and even hasten a separation.

I hate it though when things you have said are misconstrued. Or what you wanted to put across are not the ones that were transmitted. When the ideas that you relayed were meant to make people think and to find a solution. Instead, what was transmitted was judgment. What you shared was misrepresented.

It is also hard to hear how words can be employed to switch meaning. The initial concept was totally overturned. When what was applicable was for a particular case and it was generalized.

Like a moth that got singed by a candlelight, I am becoming wary of talking to people. It is making me more afraid of opening my thoughts and my opinions. Sharing is making yourself vulnerable to misconceptions.

I hope this won’t last long. I know I have to accept that life can hurt. As Rocky Balboa said, it is the standing up again that matters. I have to for I know that it is also my loss when I stop communicating.

No comments: